When you are shopping for new employee onboarding software, there are typically two ways to go. Some vendors offer an onboarding function as part of a larger suite of HR management applications. Others take a targeted approach and specialize in providing the most comprehensive functionality for onboarding. Here are some things to consider when deciding whether to invest in a best of breed solution.
Pros of All-Inclusive HR Software
The most obvious benefit of buying an HR management suite that has new employee onboarding built in is that you don’t have to look at too many options. That saves time up front. The employer can simply take the onboarding solution that the software designer includes and work with it. The employer will also know for certain that it will interface with the rest of the suite because it comes from the same company. In addition, the employer won’t be paying separately for the new employee onboarding since the software provider usually includes it in the overall price. These are all attractive aspects of one-stop-shopping.
Cons of All-Inclusive HR Software
- Generalized onboarding software is not very customizable. You will have to make your processes conform to the application rather than the other way around.
- The software designer may have developed the onboarding solution as an afterthought. The designer may have developed it to round out the product rather than with a focus on being a well-thought out and properly implemented solution.
- A larger organization purchasing HR and onboarding from a major software company can expect to sign a pricy contract.
- A small to mid-sized business may find they are getting many more applications in the HR suite than they really need. And the business may be paying for a lot of stuff that won’t be used.
- Dedicated support for the onboarding aspect of the software may not be available. The software may also not fully keep the forms up to date with state and federal regulations if this is not a high priority feature of the HR suite.
- Not all processes may be fully virtual; so, the software doesn’t support a truly paperless system.
Benefits of a Best of Breed New Employee Onboarding Solution
While it may take a little more time to select a best of breed onboarding vendor, it saves a lot of time later.
- A well-designed solution will integrate easily with HR, ATS, and Payroll software from major vendors.
- Support is provided for setup, integration, training, and customization of forms for easy adoption.
- The solution is geared toward supporting best practices for hiring and compliance, reducing the risk of errors, omissions, and penalties.
- Best of breed onboarding walks new hires through the new employee onboarding timeline and process of filling out each form.
- The program can design workflows to match how an organization routes forms through various departments for review and approval.
- There are no licensing or maintenance fees to worry about.
Hence, these are just a few of the reasons to choose a best of breed solution for new employee onboarding. At Efficient Hire, we don’t try to do everything in the HR arena. We focus on getting new employee onboarding exactly right. For more details and to see a free demo, contact our team today.