Times are difficult right now for finding and hiring candidates, that’s for sure! Our last blog discussed some key considerations for an employer’s influence on recruiting, job seeker factors, and external factors. First, let’s review the main challenges and then explore some best practices for recruiting hourly workers to get results!
No doubt you’re experiencing some or all of these challenges or know an employer who is! In light of these and other challenges, here are some things you can do to up your recruiting game…
Best Practices for Recruiting & Hiring Hourly Employees
- Speed! Reach out to applicants as soon as possible as that will improve your chances of hiring that individual
- Job descriptions matter – emphasize culture, benefits, career advancement opportunities, etc.
- Highlight other benefits like meals, uniforms, breaks, flexible schedules, part-time or full-time hours, time off
- Check competitor’s starting compensations/bonuses for new hires and stay relevant to job seekers.
- Host in-person or virtual job fairs to attract new applicants
- Use Text Messaging to engage applicants in a matter of minutes – calling and emailing only can extend connection by days
- Schedule same-day or next-day interviews if possible
- Eliminate paperwork or manual processes with a seamless onboarding integration with your ATS to onboard applicants quickly
Along with these best practices, the tools you use will make all the difference between making the next great hire and losing candidates to the competition.
Recruiting Designed for Hourly Hiring
- You need a mobile-first application process that can be easily completed on any device.
- Start with Efficient Hire’s Smart Chat Apply – the application should take no more than 3-5 minutes to complete – lengthy applications = fewer applicants.
- Leverage QR code flyers, SMS text-to-apply flyers across in-store signage for applying on-the-go
- Use an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) that can be accessed by any mobile device for managers on the go.
- Text Notifications – Utilize text and email notifications to be notified when you have new applicants to review instantly
- Text Messaging – Also, texting is the fastest way to reach applicants and is a critical component in today’s recruiting landscape.
- Interview Scheduling – allow applicants to pick their own interview time, which can drastically improve your overall time-to-hire
- Hiring Manager Reporting – track performance across your locations to improve your time-to-hire
Now, evaluate your current recruiting and hiring strategy and your tools. If your process and solution provider doesn’t measure up, get in touch with our sales team today, we can help!