While there are a million things that require your attention, hiring top talent needs to be a priority. When it comes to the hiring process, there’s a lot going on. Without the proper attention to detail, it’s easy to overlook important aspects of the hiring process and you could be losing applicants at a seemingly unimportant part of the process!
Whether you have a dedicated HR team that can focus on hiring or rely on your managers to staff their locations,
here are some ways to improve your hiring process:
- Set a Foundation – Understand who needs to be involved in the hiring process, and for which positions – as you’re improving your hiring process, make sure everyone is on the same page on exactly what their role in the hiring process entails.
- Job Ads – Yes, I said “Ads” – You want to attract candidates to your company and need to be detailed in your job postings as to why they would want to work for you. Be clear on expectations and requirements, too.
- Efficient Technology – Take advantage of the technology that’s out there. Utilize ATS systems, like Efficient Hire’s Recruiting & Applicant Tracking tools, tap into social media, make job announcements via email blasts, or post jobs on your career website. Our partnership with Indeed gives you access to Indeed Apply – you can gain a 12% increase in applicants, just by making it easier for candidates to apply to your jobs quickly from wherever they are!
- Culture & Brand – Maintaining a positive company culture and reputable employer brand is important in how potential job candidates perceive your jobs and your business. This can ultimately sway a candidate to be more likely to apply or maybe not!
- Nail the Interview – Start by setting yourself (and the job candidate) up for success. Make sure you have the tools to accommodate what the candidate needs for the interview and prepare your questions ahead of time. Interviews can be nerve wracking – prepare an icebreaker or a way to make the candidate feel at ease from the start – remember, you’re asking someone to spend most of their waking hours at your business!
- Communication – This seems to always be an issue. Don’t leave your candidates hanging – whether you email, text, or call, always keep the job candidate up to date. Efficient Hire’s Candidate Messenger makes it super simple to engage quickly and throughout the hiring process, right from the manager’s phone.
- Personalization – Having great technology doesn’t mean you should lose the personalized connection with your candidates. Let them know that a human is on the other end of the hiring decision.
- Reputation – You should regularly check up on your company’s online reputation. If a candidate has a poor experience, they will definitely let the world know. If you find negative reviews or comments online, it’s time to focus on damage control and try to make it right, if you can.
- Study The Competition – What your competition is doing to attract and hire candidates, can tell you a lot. Do they pay more for the same positions? Are they offering special bonuses or incentives? Those are just a couple of examples – maybe the culture is different, or they offer more flexible schedules. A little intelligence on your competition can help you make adjustments or even avoid mistakes they may be making.
- Rinse & Repeat – Find out what is working in your hiring process and what you need to adjust. Competition is fierce and what worked last year may not work this year!
By using these 10 steps, you can start to improve your hiring process – if you need to upgrade your technology, Efficient Hire can help. Reach out to the team today to learn how our tools can turn your hiring process into a well-oiled compliant machine!